Saturday, November 17, 2012

Thumb Hypoplasia App 2.0


This app will be used to measure a patient's thumb's range of motion on a 2D plane.  By comparing ROMs (range of motion) of before and after surgery, surgeons will be able to get a quantitative analysis of the effects of the surgery.  The first version of this app was designed to find the 3D volume of space that the thumb could move in, but that had some issues.  This new version is working pretty well so far!  Each square on the grid is 1 square centimeter (found by having the user input a diagonal length of the screen and using the resolution to calculate the pixel density).  Each red dot is a recorded touch point.

I've spent about 8 hours this weekend working on this app (so far), because I've decided to rewrite it from scratch.  The main interaction area is a QGraphicsView widget which has perfectly usable performance on my modest Acer A500.  Through this project, I've been learning a lot about graphics in Qt, which should hopefully let me write some cool custom widgets.

Well I'm going to get back to working on the app now.  I'll post a video demo of it to Youtube soon.

Thanks for stopping by!

Chris Konstad

Edit: Here's a YouTube video of the very basic functionality currently implemented in action:

No comments:

Post a Comment